View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008   #41
Duckmcdaffy

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

I purchased a pair of Dahlquist DQ10's new in 1983, and they still sound fantastic. I use a Linn Sondek LP12 Valhalla turntable with a Linn Ekos arm and an Ortofon MC3000 MkII cartridge as my principle source. I have a modified Luxman R600E stereo amp as my pre-amp and I use an Australian Monitor AM1200 Quad professional road amp to drive the Dahlquists. The AM is a 4 x 300 watts into 4 ohms amp in a 2 RU case. I run the amp in bridge mode giving me 2 x 550 watts into 8 ohms. And it sounds wonderfully musical. I have a pair of English Gale Gold Monitor MkII's that I use for quiet listening occaisionally as the DQ10's don't really like an overall lower level. But crank the power and the Dahlquist's sing. And the soundstage. Nothing matches them. The only other "wet dream" piece of gear I long for would be a pair of Apogee Scintilla full range electrostatics. Sadly they will always remain beyond my reach. Believe it or not, I use a Sony Playstation MkI as an incredible sounding CD player. A friend put me onto this and I haven't looked back. I have read with interest on a number of web sites that a company called Regnar has resurrected the Dahlquist name and also supplies components to restore the DQ10's to better than new. Any comments please?
Duckmcdaffy is offline   Reply With Quote