View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008   #92
jbk

Default Re: This top 100 band list is BOGUS - RUSH lower than STP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski_tony View Post
are u on drugs lol? led zeppelin is no 1, cream is no 32. read the list before entering the forums.

(GO PINK FLOYD AT NUMBER 3!!!!!!!!)
I guess I wasn't clear TONY....the Yardbirds were the starting point for: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page.

Clapton played for Casey Jones and the Engineers and The Rooster. This started his career but the Yardbirds and their cover of blues songs gave him a chance to move into the music mainstream. But the evolution of the Yardbirds to more British pop type music caused Clapton to leave the group and eventually join the Blues Breakers.

Clapton was known but the Yradbirds gave him his first break if you want to call it that..

Jeff Beck replaces Clapton goes on his own starts the Jeff Beck Group and plays some of the best guitar of anyone over the past 40 years: Blow By Blow and Wired. Check out his play on the last Crossroads concert from Chicago produced by Eric Clapton.....

Jimmy Page turns down the Yardbirds but recommend Beck. Beck and Page play together on the Yardbirds, briefly.

Beck leaves and Page tries to create The New Yardbirds after Relf and McCarthy leave the the Band. With the addition of Bohnam and Plant it takes over the Yardbirds touring dates and later adds John Paul Jones to evolve into LZ.

So my point is: The Yardbirds were an incubator for arguably 3 of the best British blues guitarists and two of the greatest groups in rock history. All based on music no one listened to in the States.

BB King said if it wasn't for the British musicans picking up on the blues, blues would have been relegated to the 50 cent rack in the music stores.
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote