View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008   #6
TheMoose

Default Re: $2500 for L/R/C speakers, what do I audition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Moose,

Having reviewed and lived with the Paradigm Studio system for several months I can tell you it's a great movie system, and you know you like the Paradigm sound, but I have to wonder if you might want to reconsider some things here.....

I understand wanting new L/C/R speakers, but..... What if you took that $2,500 and bought the 100's and kept your current center and moved the rest of the speakers around??? you could update the center later on as time and $$ permit and keep that eternal upgrade bug away for much longer knowing you got the top of the line fronts, and the bass these things put out is excellent. I know you'll have a sub, but full sized speakers really make an improvement in HT sound, hell, I even use them for surrounds!

As for the 40's vs 60's, that is not so easy. You will need stands for the 40's, adding to their price (unless you already have some) so this needs to be factored in as well, and again, I think full sized speakers really do make a significant difference, but you'll need to listen for yourself and see, this after all is the ultimate test and the rec to take your music and listen for yourself can't be stressed enough.

BTW It is not unreasonable to bring your current center in and see how it mates to the current Paradigms.... In case you want to consider the 100's (which I think you'd love that is why I'm suggesting this!)
Yea I thought about the 100's and after reading your review I'm sure I would love them but really they would be overkill for me (I really would have liked the discount on those review models though! ).
I'm going to have a small (15'x24') theater & am looking at the JL Fathom as the sub so the 40's should be a good fit.
I do have stands already.

I also have a budget, I need to add on to my house & get all the gear for it on a Firefighters salary, I have to be realistic with my goals.
Look at it this way, the price difference between the 100's & a cc-590 & the 40's & a cc-590 is almost the price of a JL Fathom f112!

Don't get me wrong, I expect to have a killer system but besides building the actual theater I still need a couple of surrounds, an amp, a projector & screen as well as a couple of power centers & numerous bits & pieces I haven't even thought of yet so any thing I splurge on will take away from something else.
"Best bang for the buck" is the motto for this project!

Now once my theater is done & I start on my stereo room, full sized floor standers will be a must have there!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links