View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008   #26
kloneman
Super Moderator

Default Re: Why Apple hasn't put a bluray or hd-dvd player in their computers

Hmm. Apple has announced the new versions of their other laptop models - Macbook and Macbook Pro.

These seem to be nothing more than incremental speed and resolution increases. I noticed that the airport is also 802.11n, but I haven't been tracking close enough to see if this is actually new. I did notice that there are no optical drive options available for playing or burning HD content yet. The maximum display resolution of the 17 inch is 1920 by 1200 if you buy the upgraded version, so all of the HD content pieces are in place SANS the BD OPTICAL DRIVE.

There must really be a technical/engineering problem for low profile, slot loading BD burners, or Apple would have put them in these...

I continue to wait for the "right thing" to come along. I want a real 64-bit CPU (one or more cores, not a couple of 32-bit cores), because I want to do large "scientific programming" and I want internal BD burner, so I can do the same things with HD content that I can do now for Std Def content on my Powerbook G4.

In other news, I was in a Best Buy recently, getting some printing done, while I was waiting I looked at some displays, to see how things are fairing on that front. I have decided I will not buy the "glossy" version of any display - the glare from reflection is just too annoying. It reminded me of my first days with a Unix workstation, where I had to construct a "hood" from a portion of a cardboard box, and tape it to the top of the CRT to cut down on the glare from the office ambient light.

Last edited by kloneman; 02-27-2008 at 09:03 PM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote