View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008   #407
gstarr

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

While I think Blu Ray will be much larger than a niche offering, it will never be as large as DVD's are (and were). The sad fact is that most people feel that "lossy" audio downloads are fine--which they probably are for the majority of crappy pop music and for the large quantity of people with untrained listening, not to mention the fact that most people don't have high quality speakers and listening rooms. Since most pop and rock recordings are sooo dramatically boosted and compressed by the mastering engineers (shame on them)that seem to think that most people don't mind missing pianissimo's that gradually build to great forte's, along with hearing the space and sensitivity between notes, great audio is probably doomed to being a niche market--except for well-made concert discs and folksy to classical music. There are almost no dynamics in hip hop. And many rock groups and pop groups have very little delicacy to their recordings. It often is just a roar.

While I think most people can discern the difference between high quality video and film, I fear that most are fine with upconverting DVD algorithms that fill in the empty pixels when going from 480p to 720p, 1080i or 1080p. Most people aren't cineophiles that want to see the delicacy of shadows and the sharpness of real life 20/20 pictures.

If the audiophiles that buy expensive kits don't support Blu Ray and the videophiles/cineophiles that buy the latest 1080p HDTV's and front projectors don't buy equipment and discs that show off their investments to their best ability, it makes you wonder why they bought them in the first place.

Yes, I agree that currently Blu Ray doesn't have the same featuresets that were available with the better Toshiba HD players, but they will soon. By the end of the year they will probably be a number of models that surpass the best of HD and HD upconverting for SD.

It will liekely be a number of years before people are able to get the same performance from downloads, with the same great audio codecs and totally uncompressed video.

I agree with Ken S and Kenny T---I want the best of both worlds. I hope we aren't just tilting at windmills.

Greg

The people that want the "Full Monty" of the best audio codecs and the best 1080p discs rendered as perfectly as currently possible in the film and video field are undoubtedly less than 10% of the population.

The best chance Blu Ray has in both audio discs and video is for those that say they honestly want that to support it. Let's get over hurt feelings on Toshiba HD because the alternative is a world where people are forced to listen and view the products that the artists produced not in the way they mostly desired. I guess most people don't care if they see the fine brush strokes of the Mona Lisa or the equivalent in audio and video (or film). The sad thing is this is the realm where the REAL emotion lies.
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote