View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008   #404
Vinyl Rules!

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
This is why i think downloads will take a large leap in bandwidth to beat Blu-ray, I want the lossless audio!!!!
Ken,

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

What you want is irrelevant to the people at Verizon I keep in touch with.

They DO plan is to have 50 MB to 100 MB speeds available in most of their metro areas within the next 24 (or less) months. But the best they plan to offer for hi-rez video is 720p and the current lossy DD sound you find on regular DVD's.

Why? Because they look at Apple, XM, Sirius, HD Radio, etc., and they are convinced there is NOT a "business case" to justify the extra bandwidth that would be necessary to offer 1080p video and the lossless audio tracks available with Blue Ray. They plan to reserve this bandwidth for interactive gaming services and other yet-to-be-determined uses that will be offered on a pay-per-use basis.

People like us who want 1080p video and loss less audio are an insignificant market to them. Really. We get lumped into the same category as the people who still buy vinyl LP's. There is no money to be made from us because we are considered a enthusiast fringe market segment.

Never forget these companies are marketing their products and services to the lowest common denominator, and that is Joe and Susie, not the people who read your magazines and post in these forums.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote