View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008   #17
HT Junky

Default Re: AppleTV Take 2 Impressions

Kenny,

I think you mentioned that you have an Apple computer. A lot of folks don't know this, but the Apple base stations can be "chained" together to perform one big nework. It is part of the way that they, and the Apple network, are designed to work.

I have a 2 story house with a basement, and was having a hard time getting total coverage. I purchased a base station for each floor. My internet connection is on the top floor. When you set up the each base station in the Apple network with the Apple administration software, you tell it whether it is the first base station, a pass-through base station or the last base station. It is intended for schools and small office buildings, but I figured I would overkill it, as I was getting frustrated.

In the end, I have a base station for EACH floor, so each floor is like it's own sub-network. I can walk floor-to-floor in my house with my laptop and never lose coverage. I have never had any issues since. I also have Airport Expresses in the network. Each base station also has an ethernet jack, so I have the base station in my basement, right behind my equipment. I plan on hardwiring the AppleTV to it, when I get one.

Cool stuff.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote