View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007   #10
David DelGrosso

Default Re: Chime in on my debate with AIX Records

Dr. AIX,

Long time no see!

For what it's worth, I also have long appreciated the superb sonic realism of AIX recordings, and I'm VERY interested in learning more about your future releases.

That said, I would offer one comment regarding a portion of your message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post
As for pre-existing tracks like DSOTM and A Night At The Opera...they will never be HD Audio tracks. They can't! The fidelity of the those analog recordings was locked in at the time the musicians played in the studio into an analog recorder. With mixing and mastering and safety copies, consumers never got to hear them as the musicians and engineers did.

With HD Audio, we can hear everything that was there on the analog masters BUT they simply cannot approach the fidelity of new state-of-the-art mics, preamps, recorders and processors. It's a different time and the POTENTIAL exists to make better recordings. Some labels/artists/engineers do and but most don't.
Your point is well taken, but it's also true that Picasso paintings will never offer the brilliant colors available from today's advanced materials... yet these older paintings are still quite valuable, and deserve to be presented in the best lighting possible.

So my preference is still for the best of both worlds... perfect HD live recordings, plus the best-possible re-mastering of the most inspiring music ever recorded.

And, as we both know... what the major labels and artists are willing to due, is heavily influenced by supply and demand...as in "lots of demand BEFORE we invest in creating a supply."

Nonetheless, I'm still holding on to the dream that HD-Audio movies and HD-Audio videogames are going to steadily sell millions of new HD-Audio playbacks systems... and maybe (just maybe) can eventually re-kindle enough "demand" to someday spark a re-birth for HD-Audio MUSIC.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote