Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
So now that we have one HDM format, the real battle with SD DVD can begin.
I hope that at AVrev we're all on the same side of this new battle (hint, it's the high-def side).
Sony could help their cause and drive faster acceptance of the Blue Ray format for movie buffs if they do TWO things:
(1) Add a standard DVD layer to Blue Ray (they have the room) so they are backwardly compatible
with existing "regular" DVD players; and
(2) Price these discs the same as regular DVD's.
(1) Retailers don't have to stock dual inventories.
(2) We now have a "universal" disc that will play on either player.
(3) Both the video aficionados who hang here and
Joe and Susie Sixpack are happy - They only have to buy one disc.
Sony has already established this precedent with dual-layer SACD and Redbook CD's.
Sony, are you listening?