View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008   #380
AudAdv

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Vinyl, you are just as much a troll in this case as anyone. You didn't even do Moose the courtesy of reading his post thoroughly enough to understand it before unleashing an exceedingly long rant/rebuttal.

By the way, I am a long-time ISF-certified tech (even before Joe Kane split) and I have been fully trained on the old optical comparator, the ancient Phillips piece, the CP-5000 and now the OTC-1000 and I know good quality video when I see it. I owned the famous Oppo DV-981HD and had it hooked up to my Sony KDSR-50XBR2 along with a Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi, a Sony PS3 and (temporarily) a Toshiba HD-XA2. All were connected via HDMI when they were in the system.

Even from my 15-foot viewing distance, the Oppo looked nowhere near as good as either of the legit HD sources and the Pioneer was undeniably better as well. Obviously it was even more dramatic as I moved closer. I know what the famous hometheaterhifi "benchmark" test says about the Oppo, but that's just a bunch of pass-fail tests based mainly on frame syncing, none of the tests count real resolution, false contouring or any subjective picture quality ratings, which are all at least as important as the benchmark tests.

Anyway, I see where this thread is headed, so I'm gonna bail now before there is any blood. Yes, I've fired a shot and I'm running away, that's life. Y'all have fun.
AudAdv is offline   Reply With Quote