View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008   #25
Mike Rubin

Default Re: I am thinking of getting an Audiophile only server

I am surprised there isn't more love for Olive in this thread. It's true that hard drives are not easily replaceable, but you can add an external USB drive and store silly quantities of lossless music. Also, while they are not the cheapest things ever made, they actually are at the low end of the scale for hard-drive-based units and computer-based systems often get high-end DACs that take the cost into the Olive range. More to the point, I think the Olives sound genuinely good and that, even for just straight CD playback, they exceed the entry level by a good margin. They are not difficult to configure for a wireless device and you can edit the metadata easily using your nearby computer.

I have both a stock unit and a Red Wine modded battery-powered unit. The latter sounds better, to be sure, but the newest generation of the Opus has some serious upgrades that might make it sound the Red Wine's equal. The only knock I have against either of my units is that the backup routine is pretty crude. However, some other drive-based servers don't have that capability at all. I grant you that ease of backup is a huge advantage of computer-based systems, but there's something to be said for the Olives' ability to integrate right into an audio system without taking more space than any other CD player would.

I love mine even with the backup issues, and suggest you consider the current Olive versions or a Red Wine version of any of the previous releases. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Mike Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote