View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008   #350
kennyt

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Rules! View Post
And for those of you who have mentioned how expensive "big" bandwidth is, well, I just received an offer from Embarq (former Sprint/Earthlink carrier) today to upgrade from my current 5MB download speed to 10MB speed for only an extra $10/month.

Bandwidth costs, both now and in the future, are NOT going to be an impediment to the adaption of HD downloads to consumers who would rather buy their content this way than buy the physical media.

As always, YMMV, of course. But pleeease, don't keep constructing the idiotic argument that bandwidth speeds and bandwitch costs are going to limit the quick adaption of HD downloads in the major metro markets. It ain't gonna' happen with the Telco's and the Cable Companies competing to steal each others customers!:
Vinyl,

10 Mbps is no where near what a Blu-ray disc puts out! This is where the problem arises now, and I have to continue my stance that bandwidth DOES cost. If you are the only one downloading something, Apple probably couldn't even tell, but when ten million people all want the next POTC in 1080p with uncompressed audio the day it comes out, it will tie up even massive bandwidth, and thereby add cost. I agree it likely won't be the impediment to the format, but it is significant now, and for the foreseeable future.

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote