View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008   #38
kloneman
Super Moderator

Default Re: Are servers the new media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Aiport Expresses are only 802.11g, which is goo enough unless I use too much of the bandwidth on other things. For my casual listening it's great, all files are in AIFF on a huge internal HD and backed up on one soon to be two external HD's.
Hmm. I thought you had the new Airport Extremes which are 802.11n, but fall back to 802.11g (and prior slower versions of the standard) to interoperate with other older equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
How long did it take? Forever! I started this process on my older G4 Mac, and with some poor quality discs I had input times of 0.6x real time! (granted these discs are really in bad shape but...) Recently Ive been getting 16-18x input speed, so it's going faster on the new Mac Pro, but even at that speed, it takes a while and you have to keep swapping out discs every few minutes so you are either tied to your computer or like me it took over a month of gradual imports.
My kids are in the process of destroying most of my media, so I bought a hand-held electric polisher. It works, but the most severe scratches have to be removed by hand, using the small polishing pads. I have considered going to the music store and buying a brass instrument polishing cloth that contains the rouge (having played the trumpet for many years) and seeing if it works as well on some samples of optical media that I don't care if they fail. A commercial multi-stage polisher would be cool, but costs too much for me.