View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008   #327
bootman

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I had a friend of mine...who was telling me about his 58 inch 1080p plasma. I told him that's a good buy. He claims he was watching things in 1080p - then I asked him what type of blu-ray or HD-DVD player did he have...He didn't have either. He told me that the only HD content he had was from DirectTV - I informed him at best, He's viewing 1080i content, and if he wanted to see what his set could really do - buy a BD player. He's a regular Joe and knows nothing. But you also have those that are not Regular Joe's but are satisvied with 720p content. On a screen smaller than 50 inches most people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p - because the pixel size is too small. You can tell on a 106 inch front projection. I can tell the difference in MP3's and lossless content - but what am I listening to? That's what will make the judgement on how I'm listening. MP3's for backround music - lossless for critical listening. The same rule will apply for downloads. Have you ever wanted to see a movie just for laughs? I don't buy comedies in HD - not worth it - I'm not watching it critically - I just want to laugh. Action and animation - those get the HD nod. I all depends on the content. A few of the people on this forum have systems that will kill mine and yours! They are not average Joes and Janes by a long shot. But I believe they are realist - that's why I love this site! They understand that there are different levels of enthusiasm. Some are more enthusiastic about speakers, some about media, others cabling, others PC's/Macs, and others convergence. You're at the right site, but learn to love our differences about a common hobby. I've never been a Mac fan but this site has shown me the respect that Mac deserves - and I'm now tempted to try a few Apple products.
I hear you and you share many of my same sentiments as well.
I'm just a little frustrated in the attitudes by those on the losing side I guess.
When it comes from those whose opinions are held high by others then it starts to rattle my cage a little.

Man if Apple ever "wakes up" and realize that they are really a software company first, they would over take the home PC market in less then a year by selling the Mac OS to everyone since there are now no hardware reasons that would prevent them from doing so.
(Now hand shake agreements between buddies is another matter. )
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote