View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008   #21
sb24

Default Re: I am thinking of getting an Audiophile only server

I have been looking online for several years, checking out machines that either had too small a capacity, never came to be (Wurlitzer Jukebox), or were just too high-priced for what I was looking for. I have about 2000 CDs and around the same amount of LPs, and was looking for as much storage capacity as possible without breaking the bank, and with as little complication as possible for storing it all.

Olive's Musica/Opus and the Yamaha MusicCast seemed to be the best values for the money, but what ultimately made me decide on the Yamaha was the ability to upgrade the hard drive. Many of the other units I researched had fixed, limited storage, such as the Qsonix, Elan, Russound, Escient and Integra, which all had their pros and cons. Many did not allow direct recording of analog (LPs) sources which would complicate my storage process by adding a step before loading. I also set a price limit, since most of these were basically high-end computers acting as stereo components, there seemed to be no sense in paying over $2000 for a glorified hard drive.

The Yamaha allows direct recording of my LPs, has a quick download time for CDs and has all the other features of many of the others I mentioned. The main feature of the others that stands out was the touch-screen selection of the Qsonix, but at $5000 I could do without it. The difference between the Yamaha and the Olive was the fact I could put any size hard drive I could find in the Yamaha. So with a 1TB drive, while Olive currently has a maximum 750GB for nearly $4000, the Yamaha gives me all the features of the others with larger and stilll expandable storage options, for less money. The only drawback I find is that it only allows storage in 2 sizes, lossless or MP3, while some of the others offer various different storage size options.

Still, if I store all in MP3 size, I can fit several thousand CDs on this drive eventually. Or any combination of lossless/MP3 I want, so I definitely got the most bang for the buck. And the Yamaha name may not be the most upper-echelon status in audio, but I don't think they are going away anytime soon, and since they have been around for as long as I can remember, they must have been doing something right all these years. So far, so good for me with the MusicCast.
sb24 is offline   Reply With Quote