View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008   #10
seanthebrit

Default Re: Samsung Sued Over Blu-ray Players That Won't Play All Discs

I own a Samsung BDP-1200, and have had nothing but problems with disc playback. A firmware update came out Feb.8th, but still the player stops playing movies halfway through! Blockbuster rentals (pukka condition) and new purchases. Payback stopped 20 mins in; the Prestige 1hr and 22mins in, Cars 55 mins in. Even ejecting the disc, power cycling the player, re-inserting and selecting a chapter after that point gives the message 'Disc cannot be played'. Let alone other discs that flat-out won't play (Underdog, the Transporter)

The way I see it, if there's a Blu-Ray logo on any player, then it should play that format. Period.

If manufacturers cannot guarantee this, then the Blu-Ray logo should be removed from their machines. Otherwise isn't it false advertising? I'm spending $30 on a disc (hundreds on the player) to find it's 'incompatible' with my disc player that bears the same logo? I am in full agreement with the lawsuit in principal (should they refund the purchase price for non-functioning technology?), and will never buy Samsung anything again!

Remember the early days of CD and CDR? Both logo's couldn't be used on a player by a manufacturer if it didn't work. What's happened to that idea?
seanthebrit is offline   Reply With Quote