View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007   #21
HT Junky

Default Re: Is Warner’s Hybrid “Total HD” Disc Dead?

I have recently purchased a Toshiba HD-A20, Sony BDP-S300 and Sony VPL-VW50 projector. The upgrade to the Sony projector was needed to get HDMI and full 1080P capability from a display aspect, which I spent a good amount of effort researching.

Purchasing the Toshiba HD-DVD player and Sony player, however, was a bit of a different story. I purchased the HD-DVD and Blu-ray to just "dabble" into the new formats. There is no question that this is the starting point, and things are only going to improve and get less expensive. I'm positive I will be upgrading when things get "settled".

There is no question that either of these formats is far superior to standard DVD. I was really surprised, however, that both of these players were better at scaling standard DVDs than my current player.

I was really miffed over the SACD/DVD Audio mess. I swore to not get into the HD disc market untill a winner emerged, but I just could stand waiting any more and dove in.

One thing that I don't think anyone has mention is the amount of upgrading needed for current home theater owners. There is the HDMI connection, need for and HDMI switching receiver, 1080P resolution, new sound formats, which existing receivers cannot decode. It is a big investment.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote