View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008   #2
Robinson_A

Default Re: Netflix to Stop Renting Movies on HD DVD Format

This is the e-mail I received today from Netflix.

________________________________________ _______________________________

WE'RE GOING BLU-RAY

Dear Andrew,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

________________________________________ _________________________________

I agree with Jerry in that this move is not a notch in Blu-ray's belt but a hit against consumers. A rental service is served just as well offering both for they can better meet the needs of their users; users who may have supported HD DVD. Users who are still going to need and want HD DVD rentals. My HD DVD requests have been switched to lower res DVD or now Blu-ray. I can go back and change them back for the time being, but to say, as a service we won't offer you what we said we would is a slap in the face.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote