View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008   #14
TheMoose

Default Re: Why do people dislike Firmware updates??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
That sounds like Apple failing to provide a consistent control Interface to iPod Touch...
And just how would you suggest Apple keep a consistent control interface when going from a click wheel to a touch screen?

Quote:
The so-called functionality i have seen to date appears to be nothing more than being able to respond to immature standards and fix problems that should have never appeared in production equipment the first place.
I don't know when I Look through all these update notes I'm seeing a lot of added functionality also.

Quote:
Reality is that this "chance" is rapidly becoming the standard practice.
What is a company to do?
Tech is advancing so fast they have to release some products before they are ready, it can cause problems but it it can be patched.
What would you rather do wait an extra 6 months for all of last years tech to be applied to a product or get it now & have next years tech when it's updated?

Quote:
Present a large enough target, and it will draw the malcontents.
No doubt about that but that doesn't apply to just firmware updates but anything with an ethernet connector hooked to a computer.
And the PS3 updates come straight from Sony, a company by the way with the most out of control haters, believe me if some xbox fanboy could have figured out how to infect the PS3 they would have done it by now!

Quote:
Another thing that disturbs me about this mechanism, is that because the non-volatile memory storage technologies are electro-chemical, there are a finite number (though large), of erase/write cycles possible before the device fails outright. The media will become most likely become obsolete before this occurs, but this technology is best suited for prototyping, rather than production and it seems like we are all beta testers.
I don't get what your talking about here, were talking about RAM, Flash & Hard drives being re written, that's what they were designed to be able to do isn't it?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote