View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008   #9
TheMoose

Default Re: Why do people dislike Firmware updates??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
For most cases, relying on "firmware updates" is evidence of poor engineering, predicated on an immature design for both the device and the content. In this specific case, the "need for update" is due either to Apple's failure to provide a mature/non-conflicting control interface specification for the iPod Touch with respect to other members of the iPod product line, OR it is due to Kenwood's failure to provide a correct implementation of the iPod control interface in the first place. I do not know which of these is actually the cause, but one of them is.

There is no sound engineering reason an automotive product of ANY KIND should require a firmware update, and there are risks with the technique also. Can't you just wait until some malcontent creates a virus that contaminates the firmware, and gets it embedded into the dribbleware distribution channel????

The need to perform such updates to play multimedia content is absolutely unacceptable, and is evidence of the "get it out the door, we'll fix any problems in the field later" mentality that personal computer vendors have foisted upon us.
Well that's one way to look at it I guess.
The deal with the Kenwood is the receiver was released before the iPod Touch was, it would function fine with a regular iPod but the Touch has different software (touch interface is different than previous iPods) the firmware update just made my Kenwood work with something that it wasn't originally designed to work with, that's a good thing!
I don't see that as anyones fault.

It's the same way with the PS3, while some firmware updates have been to fix bugs most of them have added new functionality that if not for the update would have required buying a newer version of the PS3 to get the same functionality I got for free with a firmware upgrade (think Apple).

Yes there is always a chance of things getting pushed out too soon because they can be fixed with a firmware upgrade but at least they can be fixed that way.

As for the virus, I worried about that too but since most products use their own OS it shouldn't be a problem, it would take a dedicated attack on that product to give it a virus, now if my receiver used windows there would be a lot more to worry about!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote