View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008   #8
kloneman
Super Moderator

Default Re: Why do people dislike Firmware updates??

For most cases, relying on "firmware updates" is evidence of poor engineering, predicated on an immature design for both the device and the content. In this specific case, the "need for update" is due either to Apple's failure to provide a mature/non-conflicting control interface specification for the iPod Touch with respect to other members of the iPod product line, OR it is due to Kenwood's failure to provide a correct implementation of the iPod control interface in the first place. I do not know which of these is actually the cause, but one of them is.

There is no sound engineering reason an automotive product of ANY KIND should require a firmware update, and there are risks with the technique also. Can't you just wait until some malcontent creates a virus that contaminates the firmware, and gets it embedded into the dribbleware distribution channel????

The need to perform such updates to play multimedia content is absolutely unacceptable, and is evidence of the "get it out the door, we'll fix any problems in the field later" mentality that personal computer vendors have foisted upon us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Well like I said get used to firmware updates because more things are coming out every day that can be updated.

The latest is my Kenwood KDC-X991 car receiver.
At first it wouldn't control my iTouch but after a firmware upgrade it works great.

Get use to it guys, before long everything electronic will be firmware upgradeable.

Last edited by kloneman; 02-10-2008 at 07:40 AM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote