View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008   #3
HT Junky

Default Re: Denon DVD-2500BTCI

I stayed up most of the night doing A/B comparisons with this unit, my Panasonic BD30, and Toshiba A35 (for standard DVDs).

From disc to disc, the Blu-ray playback is better. Colors looked better to me, and detail was greater. The better the transfer, the more of a difference I noticed. Sound was always better as well. More detailed and more three dimensional.

The A35 was better on standards DVDs in my system. I find it interesting that Denon makes no mention of the video chipset for this player on their website or in the manual, but does so for every other player it makes. Sound, however, was better through the Denon.

CDs sound is better than the two others through the HDMI interface into my Denon receiver. The issue with CD playback deals with the fact that this player is designed to be a Blu-ray transport. It has one single HDMI output connection. No component video, no Toslink and no digital coax out. While the CD playback is better through HDMI than the other players, it is nowhere near what I get through my Benchmark DAC1, using my Simaudio Moon Equinox as a transport.

As a Blu-ray player, which is what I purchased it for, it is the best one I have had in my system to date.

It will be interesting to hear from others as the reviews start coming.

My system is as follows:

Sony Pearl projector
Dynalite 92 inch screen
Denon AVR-3808CI receiver
Toshiba A35 HD-DVD player
Outlaw 750 amplifier
Montana EPS front, Montana SPC center speakers
Energy Veritas Surrounds
Simaudio Moon Equinox (used as CD transport)
Benchmark DAC1
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote