View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008   #34
Vinyl Rules!

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Default Re: How many DVD consumers purchase HD DVD by mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Actually that's just the start of the discussion!
I believe there is a lot of interest by Joe & Susie 6 pack for HDM, they are just sitting on the sidelines waiting for a winner to the war.
I predict a huge jump when there is only 1 format of HDM on store shelves.
Moose,

Do you REALLY think Joe and Susie are going to pay MORE for a hi-rez DVD when they CANNOT SEE THE DIFFERENCE on their 42" Wal-Mart LCD HDTV between the more-expensive hi-rez DVD and their existing collection of regular DVD's?

And let me clue you in: Joe and Susie already think because their $50 DVD player can upscale to 1080i or p, they actually believe they have a hi-rez DVD player. Do you ever go into a store and actually talk to shoppers like I do? I didn't think so.

Trust me, hi-rez discs aren't going to survive. I've got over 25 years in the CE business in one form or another, and only I only ever made one mistake: I bought 15,000 T-Rex "novelty" telephones to merchandise with the first Jurassic Park movie for the 150 stores I was buying for at the time, and we only sold 1/2 of them: I dumped the rest to off-shore vendors, but I at least broke even on my bad judgment on the T-Rex phone. So tell me about your CE industry background? Or are you just a CE "drugstore cowboy?"

You just don't get it: Joe and Susie ARE NOT going to pay more for a hi-rez DVD that looks no different to them than their regular DVD's.

And when you tell us there is going to be a "huge jump" in HDM discs, I say: Whatever you are drinking, I want some.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington

Last edited by Vinyl Rules!; 02-08-2008 at 06:37 PM..
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote