View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008   #33
henry33

Default Re: How many DVD consumers purchase HD DVD by mistake?

[QUOTE=DaViD Boulet;10833]

>...until my own ears can compare and hear no difference, I'm very distrusting of "experts" who'd like to tell us what we can and can't hear. We still have "experts" telling us we can't hear any improvement over red-book CD 16/44.1 though my own ears hear an astonishing improvement with 24/96...<

Absolutely! Does everyone know about the paper by Meyer & Moran which the AES officially published in their Journal last September - saying that their absurdly unscientific test proved that nobody could hear any difference between SACD, DVD-A and standard CD? I canceled my lifelong AES membership over that! You have to be an AES member to download it but if you email me I'll send out the pdf file of it. The AES says they will have a future response since so many members objected to it. Interesting that none of the major audio publications have written about it...

My vote for best sound for the two HD formats is uncompressed 5.1 PCM, though I wish they would offer 96K instead of just 48K. Then you needn't worry about proper decoding of new codecs in your player or AV preamp/receiver. (But the new LG Blu-ray/HD DVD player has no 6-channel analog out jacks - so what to do in that case?)
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote