View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008   #2
kennyt

Default Re: Just bought PS3 - audio connection to tube preamp question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjoon1021 View Post
Questions:
1. What quality of sound are you getting from the PS3 as a CD Player ? as a SACD player ? as a DVD Player ? I kind of hope that you have good stand alones to compare it to...? The question is relative...

2. I intend to take the digital optical out of the PS3 into the digital optical input of my DAC and run the ps3 HDMI into the HDMI of my TV for DVD and CD. Can I expect good sound going this route, assuming a good DAC, etc... (in other words, is the PS3 and its hookup scenario going to be good)?

3. If you use your PS3 to play SACDs how are you connecting it ? What is the best way for me to do so, remembering that my preamp is a tube job with only RCA inputs. SACD can't go through a DAC. I suppose that I have to take the multi_AV out to RCAs in on my pre-amp. Is there enough bandwidth with that kind of connection ?
1. I find the PS3 pretty weak sonically for Blu-rays, the bass is lacking as is some detail, now mind you I have to use an optical cable vs the coaxials from my other Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S1, Samsung BDP-1000, Samsung BDP-1200) and picture was better from each and every stand alone player.

2. Haven't tried the PS3 as a CD source, SACD obviously won't work via optical digital out.

3. I believe you need to hook the PS3 up via HDMI for SACD, though I am not sure on this one, I do not have the multi AV cable to try stereo analog outs.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote