View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008   #27
PRO-630HD

Default Re: How many DVD consumers purchase HD DVD by mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
Just think about how much better it would have been in PCM/lossless. Guess we'll just have to wait until the Blu-Ray comes out.

I believe Ice Age 2 was MPEG2 and that was awesome.

I do have a very nice system, nothing that touches Kenny's but nice.

And their it is! SACD and DVD Audio were huge advancements in sound quality but since J6P thought MP3 was good enough it died. Here we have an opportunity with BD to ALWAYS have PCM/Lossless for those that can hear the difference and DD+ or 1.5 DTS core or dolby Pro-logic surround if you prefer for everyone else. It comes back to space and BANDWIDTH.
In reality Transformers could have had a True HD track. All they had to do was get rid of the 1.5 mbps English and 640kbps Spanish and French DD+ tracks. That leaves 2.78 mbps for True HD which we know could have easily be done. For example the Potter True HD tracks run 1.8 mbps.

Coincidently I just watched the bluray of Ice Age 2 a few days ago. We all know animation transfers great to film. While it looks far better than most 18 mbps MPEG-2 titles(which in reality isn't saying much) to me it doesn't hold up to other great titles with AVC encodes like Cars, Routatuille or VC1 encodes like Happy Feet, Polar Express and Shrek 3. I am looking formward to Ice Age 1 though as it hopefully has a AVC encode.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote