View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008   #8
Lotus

Default Re: How many DVD consumers purchase HD DVD by mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
Why is it almost all mod inputs I see have leanings to the HD DVD side. Sure they are veiled a bit but obvious to me.
Like the Load time/firmware update thing (my A2 has needed two updates in order to play movies and I can turn my A2 on go to the bathroom and come back and the tray is finally able to open then loading the movie is no different than any other Blu-Ray machine i've used.)
Then the weird pep talks/ideas on how HD DVD could make a come back or win the format war.
I think it's because HD DVD won them over by providing excellent content at a lower price that worked for the most part (some HDMI handshake issues aside) added to the fact that BD came out whiffing at pitches so to speak.

Everyone, myself included was convinced BD was better, yada, yada, yada and that HD DVD was dead in the water because of Studio Support and lack of disc space, etc.

The real world results were high quality PQ and AQ at a lower cost. Then BD came out with much worse PQ (for the first 4 months) and more and more firmware updates. Plus there is the long menu loading times on certain titles (cough Disney).

Real world experience has shown me that BD has no edge other than Studio support. Which means that Studios are picking the winner and they may just be siding with the wrong one. Personally I think more for less is better.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote