View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008   #8
kloneman
Super Moderator

Default Re: The "Dark" Side of Going All HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
I'd never thought of playing with the two volumes. That would be a workable solution. Now, the question I would ask is this: are channels with 0 output volume still consuming continuous watts of power even though there is no output?
Idle channels of most conventional amplifiers do dissipate power and create heat, but it is not as much power/heat as with the amplifier going "full bore." The "Class A" and "Class AB" transistor output circuit designs have some current flowing through them at all times to get rid of the non-linearity that exists for small amplitude inputs, and for most amplifiers the power supply voltage is fixed. There are are other designs that play games with either the power supply voltage, the idling current or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
Alas, the maddening joy of trying to work through settings! This seems like an interesting solution, but my TV speakers don't seem to be working at all, and I don't know why! Can't find any setting in the TV that says they aren't on, and still can't find a way to get them talking again. It doesn't appear to be the Denon - setting it to run the sound to the TV instead of AMP doesn't make the TV start talking either. Probably another lost evening wandering through the Aquos and Denon manuals......

John
Computers/automation were supposed to make life easier. Most engineers can't figure out how to use computers to do that, and I'm one of them.