View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008   #1
JohnJ

Default The "Dark" Side of Going All HDMI

I won an HD TV last year and did the dutiful thing: I upgraded my receiver, upgraded other components, and went with HDMI to connect as much as possible. It took more than a bit of work to get a set of components that would talk to each other, but now that it's all done, I'm a happy camper. Well, that is I'm a happy camper until sometime after the sun goes down, and it's my family that's unhappy more than me.

My system is in my living room. No media room here. My eight-year-old's room is on the other side of the wall everything is on. Our own bedroom is the opposite direction of most all the speakers, and down a dogleg hall, the sound of the TV down low still finds its way strongly down the hallway at night.

What I think AVRs are missing is the "pass-through" button so that you can let your HDMI signal and sound go up to the TV without having to drive the AVR's speakers. It would probably save a lot of electricity, too: powering 5.1 at 100 watts / channel can't be helpful to one's electric bill at these energy-conscious times!

I have a Denon 2308, but before when I was trying to get everything to work right I had a 2307 and had a Sony unit for a short time, and I didn't find any way to do this with HDMI in any of those systems. I don't know if anyone does this, but it sure would be a good function to add.

John
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote