Thread: Composite.com
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008   #4
kloneman
Super Moderator

Default Re: Composite.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
If you are worried about balance, you have no need to worry, many people use three point systems as by definition three points define a plane, four, a three dimensional space. Therefore three points will always balance weight distribution better than four.
I consider the assertion that "because 3 points define a plane, a 3 point distribution system distributes weight better than a 4 point system" to be a fallacy. The actual distribution of the force is determined by the distribution of the masses within the confines of the chassis rectangle that encloses it. I assert that when such a rectangle is supported at only 3 points, a disproportional amount of the force is placed one of the points, and the two unsupported triangular sections of the chassis are now not mechanically damped, so they are free to pick up vibrations coupled from the room.

Quote:
If you have ever tried to balance speakers on four points, then tried some with only three you know exactly what I mean. With three points, you merely adjust the level, with four, you level the speaker, then play that famous dancing game getting it to stay stable..... That simply never happens with a three point system.
My speakers are too large to place on points. The difficulty you refer to is caused by misalignment of the floor, and a 3 point support better tolerates the misalignment, but it's not really distributing the weight any better.

Quote:
I don't like the three point systems as they can make it difficult to use balanced IC's or other wires in the middle of the rear of some components, but I've seen these and the shelves are pretty large so that shouldn't be a bug problem.

These are very cool looking racks, and as a cyclist I LOVE carbon fiber!!!
Perhaps there are also means to accomplish appropriate conductor routing with constraining devices that attach to the rack or to the shelves. I have not looked into this.

Last edited by kloneman; 02-02-2008 at 11:07 AM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote