View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008   #156
Vinyl Rules!

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=901

Had to post this. I don't see it happening in the US though.
This reminds me of an old joke:

Question: What is the fastest way to empty a crowded Men's room?

Answer: Walk up to a urinal and comment to the gentleman standing next to you, in a loud voice: "Gosh, I've never seen one that big before!"

This is just an exercise in trying to prove who has the "biggest one," IMHO.

Ibiquity, the company that's trying to make a go of HD Radio tried a similar program about a year ago that was a huge flop: They offered to buy back any analog FM tuner from you and give you the money to buy a new HD Radio. Problem was, they were offering less than 50% of the average eBay sale price for the identical item, and they only included a small number of stereo and A/V receivers in their aborted plan. And when I accessed their on-line program, it was not accepting ANY FM-only tuners - It was only accepting stereo and A/V receivers, and only ones that were just one or two years old.

Sony may get some bites on this program in Germany, but if Blue-Ray is ultimately going to be a commercial success, people have to buy it because they really want it, not because they are offered a temporary price reduction to give it a try.

No company has ever "bought" a market and made their product a success.

Companies do not determine if a new technology is successful: The consumers who choose to use and adapt a new technology are the final arbiters of that technology's success or failure.

I still think Steven Jobs is going to win this marketplace battle. As always, YMMV, of course.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links